- Is there any adjustments I need to make ?
General awareness of nuts and bolts and make sure that they are tight, there are no other servicable adjustmenst to make the board perform better.
- When should I change my drive belt ?
You should change the drive belt when you hear it clicking, if you hear clicking slightly when you take off then the belts on the way out. If you hear clciking everytime you accelerate, then turn around go home and change the belt as its just about to break. The street series 600w and below rarely break belts. The off road boards can go through them more frequently. As a rule if you brake heavily - especially downhill you will stress the belts more - but its good fun and we always sell belts so dont stress if you break some. Also skating up steep hills from a standing start may stress your belts out too much, so be sensible
- I ran my board into the water - will the battery be OK ?
Your chances of damaging your battery are increased monumentally for every second its submersed in the water. A quick dunk of less than 1-2 seconds maybe OK, running off a jetty into 10 feet of water is a definite battery replacement along with a new motor, new computer. new trasnmitter, new wheel bearings - In fact just logon to our store and purchase a new board which will be as much as replacing everything. Be careful of water and don't laugh, we know of Fiik riders which have done this !
- I took my board out - it was really hot then everything stopped ?
On really hot days, especially if transversing many hills, the current draw from your battery to the motor may be so high that it causes the safety 30Amp fuses to blow which are located within the battery compartment. Simply remove the old fuses and replace with new fuses - Hot Tip: buy a packet of 30 Amp green blade fuses and wedge them inside the battery compartment ready for you if needed.
- Is it OK to fully discharge my battery ?
Yes both our lead acid and our lithium batteries are Deep Cycle batteries, which means unlike a car battery they can be fully discharged and recharged without damage.
- How many charges can i get from a battery ?
You can get approximately
- 200 full cycle charges from a lead acid battery
- 500 full cycle charges from a lithium battery
- How long to recharge my battery ?
If your battery is totally flat it will take 5-6 hours to fully charge, however both the lead acid and lithium battery will continue to charge from a half empty battery with a reduced time depending on how flat the battery is initially.
- What Age Can I Ride an Electric Skateboard ?
You can start riding the kids electric skateboards from 5 years old. It is important if age is being taken into account that you choose the right board depending on weight and skill level. We have 8 year olds who are highly proficient skaters riding the 600w street series boards with confidence and 10 year old riding the big daddy and street surfers, but as a rule we recommend that you stick to our standard recommendations
- Kids series 5- 8 year old
- Pipe Master 8-11 years old
- Rager 12-15 years old
- Street series 13+ years old depending on skill level
- Off Road Series 14+ years old depending on skill level
- Can anyone ride any board ?
No - stick to the miniumum and maximum weights for each board to maximise both safety and enjoyability.
- How do I accelerate ?
By gently pulling the trigger towards you a steady flow of power will flow to the drive wheel accelerating you forward.
- How do I brake ?
By gently pushing the trigger away from you this will decrease the power flow to the drive wheels by applying the electrical brake to the motor, this will initiates the ABS - yes our skateboards have ABS braking meaning that the wheels won't generally lock up throwing you off in the process.
- How far will my skateboard travel ?
This is the most frequently asked question of all.
Before we embark on this topic, please let me bring to your attention some significant mistruths. There are many websites out there in cyberspace touting that you will achieve up to 3 hours run time whilst advertising the stats and price of a Lead Acid Battery powered skateboard - not even a lithium battery pack. These statements are just not true, they are blatent lies written by uninformed business owners which have stretched the truth.
Trouble is one business writes something and spices it up, another business adds a bit on that and posts it and so it goes on. 12 months later we see people selling Fiik skateboards stating 3 hours run time and a charge rate of just 3 hours. We have spent months tabulating and testing our boards results and publishing them so that you the customers feels confident and secure in your purchase. We don't lie or stretch the truth to make a sale, we tell it like it is so that you know what to expect.
So here are the truthful stats
There are many variables which will impact on the distance that any electric skateboard can travel, but being electric the most important variables are
- weight carried (the rider)
- surface resistance
The heavier you are as a skater, the less you will travel, you can take off 1km approx for every 8-10kg over 70kg for a distance of 20km for lithium and 12km for lead acid. The faster you hold that trigger at top speed the less distance you will travel, holding the trigger at around 50-70% of full power will deliver the longest distance. Don't over brake as take off uses heaps of power. Think of it like driving a car on the freeway compared to around town. Surface resistance plays a huge factor. The best surface is super smooth concrete pathways - great if you can get them for extended distances. Bike paths and the blacktop are OK. Grass - especially wet or long grass will reduce you distance and hard sand sucks up the juice even more
So here are the ideal numbers at about 70% top speed travelling as straight as possible for an adult rider of about 70kg
- Street series boards - lead acid battery 9-10km (35-45 minutes runtime)
- Street series boards - lithium battery 15-16km (60-70 minutes runtime)
- Street Surfer off road board lead acid battery 10-12km (50 minutes runtime)
- Street Surfer off road board lithium battery 18-20km (70-90 minutes runtime)
- Big Daddy off road board lead acid battery 10-12km (50 minutes runtime)
- Big Daddy off road board lithium battery 18-20km (70-90 minutes runtime)
- Can I bump up curbs and ride over ramps ?
Street boards should not bump up curbs, damage to trucks and the skateboard may occur. Off road boards may bump up curbs 50mm in height at low speed. No boards should attempt taking off ramps and partaking in jumps or air.
- What is the maximum weight I can ride on my board ?
Our boards are designed for everyday people, the kids boards have a top weight of 65kg, the off road boards have a max weight of 135kg. Refer to your operators manual for the exact weight of your skateboards. If you are over the maximum weight designed for your board please ride with caution as you may stress the boards motor beyond its safe working load, Multiple people should never ride one board at the same time.
- How should I clean my board ?
Cleaning your board is one of your key maintenance points. Do not soak the board, or spray with a hose, simple get a wet cloth and rub off any dirt with the cloth - maybe use a scrubbing brush on stubborn marks. With a damp cloth clean the underside of the board, the trucks, battery, wheel sidewalls etc.
- How should I store my board ?
After you have cleaned your board, if you are going to store it for extended periods of time disconnect the battery, If you can, give the battery an overnight charge every 3-4 months. If you are going to store it for a few weeks before use, keep the battery on charge if possible, the automated cutoff will turn the light on the charger to green indicating that the battery is drawing minimal current to maintain optimal status of the battery.
- What is the difference between the boards ?
We have 3 distinct types of boards
- Kids Boards
- Street Boards
- Off Road Boards
- The kids boards run a 150w motor with a 24volt battery and are suitable for children 5-8 years old.
- The next level of board is the Pipe Master and Rager running again 24volt and a 250w & 400w motors, suited to a preteen and teenage kid.
- The next range is the Street Series running a 600w motor and 36volts, plenty of grunt and suitable for adults up to 120kg
- The final range is the Off Road Series, sporting 800w motors and 36volts, capable of carrying weights of up to 135kg this is the "take you anywhere board"